Review: The Crown (The Selection, #5) by Kiera Cass

26074181
Title: The Crown (The Selection, #5)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating:
Hardcover, 279 Pages
Published May 2016


Summary: When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone. Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.




I've loved The Selection series from the start, when Amber convinced me to give it a try a few years ago. I've always had a soft spot for books about royalty, not that I know why - I just found them endlessly fascinating. So, needless to say, I fell in love pretty quickly. And I could only hope that the final book in this awesome series would tie everything up and leave me satisfied as a reader, since I've been following The Selection from the very first book. 

(Spoilers ahead so please skip to the next paragraph if you haven't read the book yet!) There was only one thing about this book that I wasn't crazy about. I felt that, towards the end, things got a little rushed and happened way too quickly...there's also the fact that I totally shiped Eadlyn and Kile and they didn't end up together but hey, that's just a personal opinion that I won't (and can't) fault the book for. But yeah, I just felt that things happened way too quickly, almost as if Cass was in such a rush to wrap up the story and she just wanted to put it to bed. (Which I really hope isn't the case, because this is an excellent series!)

As for what I did like, I admired Eadlyn's character. She possessed such a strength that I don't think I would've been able to have at that age, having to juggle between finding a husband and taking care of my mother and ruling a country. Even when she had her moments where she wasn't the country's most desirable monarch, her perseverance for doing the right thing managed to shine through. 

I also enjoyed all of the boys, especially Henri. They each had their own personalities and Eadlyn's interactions with each of them were all entirely different, and that's what was good. The boys didn't all blend into one another like the girls did in the earlier parts of the series. It was also really nice to get to see a Selection from the eyes of the prize instead of from the eyes of a contestant, as America had once been. It was definitely an interesting change in perspective. 

All in all, I really enjoyed The Crown. I'm sad to see the series go since I've been such a fan since the beginning, but on the other hand I also can't wait to get my hands on more books by Cass (such as The Siren!), because she's an excellent writer and I've enjoyed every book of hers thus far and I don't think I'm about to stop now. 

If you're looking for a sweet romance with a touch of drama and even a little bit of suspense, I definitely recommend The Selection series! I'm so glad that Amber got me to try it out a few years ago, because it's been one of my favorite series of all time. :-)





1 comment

  1. Though this book disappointed me, I really love Eadlyn as a character (more so than America). I know some people think she was bratty or overbearing, but her faults were a nice contrast to America and I think she had a lot of great strengths too, such as her assertiveness. I was really pulling for Kile, though!

    -Cristina @ Girl in the Pages

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️