ARC Review: The White Rose by Amy Ewing

Title: The White Rose (The Lone City #2)
Author: Amy Ewing 
Genre: Science Fiction, Fantasy
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: October 6th 2015
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-order it on Amazon / Read Jessica's Review!

Summary: 
Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude. But no one said leaving the Jewel would be easy. As they make their way through the circles of the Lone City, Regimentals track their every move, and the trio barely manages to make it out unscathed and into the safe haven they were promised—a mysterious house in the Farm. But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?

Review: 


The White Rose was deliciously written, packed with drama, mystery, betrayal and plot twists fans of The Jewel will love it! I finished in less then two days (Note: This review was written in May), so I abandoned studying and preparing for prom to finish this, I loved it that much! 

The White Rose picks up right were The Jewel ended, Ash is locked up and Violet stuck in her room. When we thought things couldn't go worse the Duchess arrives, and if you have any hope that she has a kind bone in her body, you are wrong. Lucien manages to get Violet, Raven and Ash out of the Jewel and into the farm lands to a place called The White Rose, where the head of the rebellion is located. Lucien things Violet is the tool they need to bring down the royalty and end surrogacy for good. 

I loved the growth of Violet from The Jewel to now, her growth is amazing. I spent a good majority of my The Jewel review complaining that Violet did nothing to gain her freedom, even when things were going down hill. Finally in The White Rose she took those leaps she needed. Amy expanded on all of her characters in this novel, especially Raven who had quickly has become one of my favorites. One of Violet's strong suits is loyalty to the people she cares about, she refused to give up on Raven, she supported Ash and trusted Lucien even when his choices were questionable. 

Another complain I had with The Jewel was the Auguries, and the history of the island not being explained well enough. Things aren't what they seemed to be though, history has been twisted. The way the Auguries had come about wasn't something I expected, but it was an interesting twist and the already screwed up history of the island. 

I am going to believe that Amy likes to make her readers suffer with cliffhanger endings. Considering I found the ending to The Jewel predictable I was thinking the same was going to happen with this one. Boy was I wrong. I never saw that ending coming, and I am dying to know what is going to happen. Overall I really did enjoy The White Rose.

Rating: 








3 comments

  1. I am so desperate for this book after loving the first one! Very glad to hear you enjoyed it, though terrified that it ends on a cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaayy 4 stars for this one!! I have this one at home and I hope I really like it as well, the first book's first half was much better though than the instant love that came out of nowhere. Lovely review! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the detailed review! I'm not sure this series is for me, because I hate cliffhangers. Maybe I will wait until the next book comes out before I read...

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️