ARC Review: Anything Could Happen by Will Walton

Title: Anything Could Happen 
Author: Will Walton
Genre: Contemporary 
Source: ARC sent by Publisher 
Publisher: Push
Publication Date: May 26th 2015
Add it on Goodreads / Pre-order it on Amazon

Summary:
When you’re in love with the wrong person for the right reasons, anything could happen. Tretch lives in a very small town where everybody's in everybody else's business. Which makes it hard for him to be in love with his straight best friend. For his part, Matt is completely oblivious to the way Tretch feels – and Tretch can’t tell whether that makes it better or worse. The problem with living a lie is that the lie can slowly become your life. For Tretch, the problem isn’t just with Matt. His family has no idea who he really is and what he’s really thinking. The girl at the local bookstore has no clue how off-base her crush on him is. And the guy at school who’s a thorn in Tretch’s side doesn’t realize how close to the truth he’s hitting. Tretch has spent a lot of time dancing alone in his room, but now he’s got to step outside his comfort zone and into the wider world. Because like love, a true self can rarely be contained.

Review: 


Anything Can Happen is both warmly written and heart swelling. I found it to be something refreshing in in Young Adult, and will surely be a book I will be pushing at people. 

Tretch knew he way gay the moment Matt grabbed his hand at church. But he lives in the south, where being gay isn't something that is easily understood. Ironically Matt has two dads, and constantly reminds other people as well as himself that he isn't gay. During winter break Tretch learns the meaning of friendship and family. He watches Matt's budding relationship with a coffee shop server, comes out to his brother, and understands that the girl at the local bookshop may think of him as more then a friend.

Tretch was easily a likable character. He is young and enthusiastic about the things in life, but he is also hiding a secret that makes him who he is. Tretch tends to ramble when  he is describing stuff, which whether or not done on purpose, made him more real to me. He was a kind of guy that went along with the flow of things and didn't do anything particularly cool to stand out in his small town. 

The stories of unrequited love always hitt me hard in the gut, I wanted that fairy tale ending for Tretch, the one where Matt is also in love with him, but that wouldn't have been realistic at all. Will left Tretch's story off on a positive note, leaving me content to know that when everything is said and done he will still have his family and friends. I'm typically not a fan of fluffy stories, I usually prefer something that is going to make me thing and feel along with the main character. Though this is fluffy, I felt right along with Tretch, there are a few times that I teared up too. 

Overall I really enjoyed Anything Can Happen. It was beautiful, heart warming, and coming of age. I will be looking out for more of Will Walton's writing in the future. 

Rating:



1 comment

  1. Oh my goodness. I am seriously dying for this book. I am such a lover of unrequited love (alas, what would you expect from someone always in that predicament). That's what drives me to devour this book so hardcore. I love so many things about it already. Omg, I can't believe Matt has two dads, well, I can, but, you know. Given the fact that his friend is in love with him, it's kind of interesting. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️