Review: Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Title: Warm Bodies
Author: Isaac Marion
Rating: ★★★
 (5/5 Stars)
Hardcover, 239 Pages
Published April 2011



Let me start with OH MY GOD THIS BOOK WAS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I finished it earlier today and was just itching to write the review before the feeling of amazement and awesomeness fled me. But omg, I loved this book so so much. It was AMAZING. If I could give it six stars, I would. Even seven stars. I think anyone and everyone should check out this book.

So, are you wondering what it's about? Here, I'll tell 'ya:

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse. Just dreams. 

After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a burst of vibrant color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that R lives in. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world...

I honestly thought that R and Julie were the cutest love story I've ever heard. And believe me, I've heard of a lot of love stories. The way that R brings Julie back to his home to keep her safe, when he just as easily could have split her head open and eaten her brains (*wrinkles nose*), immediately made me think he was sweet. He also didn't think like the rest of the zombies. Even before he fell in love with Julie and (*SPOILER ALERT*) started changing, he seemed far more "alive" (possible pun intended?) than the rest of his zombie friends.

Then again, they weren't really his friends. Just fellow undead.

So, let me rephrase that:

Even before he fell in love with Julie and started changing, he seemed far more "alive" than the rest of his zombie friends fellow undead.

Better.

Marion was able to pull of a story that had tons of serious thoughts and issues, but there were bursts of humor laced throughout it that made me smile. (Not to mention Julie and M's passion for curse words!)

All in all, I really loved the story. It was a great read that I devoured (heheh.) in a little over a day. :D

I haven't even seen the movie yet, but I have a feeling that the book is better. If anybody out there has read the book, feel free to comment and let me know which you think was better: Warm Bodies the book or Warm Bodies the novel?







No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️